I’m learning more and more that the key to a happy home is a happy wife. The key to a happy wife is making her feel appreciated and keeping her from feeling overwhelmed. The key to both of those is to help her. It’s basic I know… but like so many things with relationships, it’s not knowing what to do, it’s buckling down and just doing it.
I’ve always figured that if my wife needed my help that she would ask. But she’s the type that things she should be able to handle it all on her own. She’s not good at asking. So these are things that I’ve just started to do on my own. I just made a list of tasks that seemed to drain her the most and took ownership of them. These aren’t things she’s asked me to do… they’re things I added myself and just let her know. She didn’t complain.
Here are a list of 5 things I’ve added to my Husband Portfolio that are really working wonders in my home.
1. I’ve started putting the kids to bed every night. We used to trade nights… now it’s my responsibility.
2. Bathing the kids… it’s my job now.
3. Cleaning the kitchen and doing dishes after dinner? My job now.
4. I must find and complete 5 tasks that help her around the house every evening after work.
5. I’ve secured a babysitter every other Thursday night so I can take her out to dinner.
She literally told me the other night, “You’re coming as close as you ever have to being the perfect husband”. I still have a bit to go I suppose. 🙂
Husbands, I put it to you. What things could you be doing (or are doing) to keep your wife happy, healthy and appreciated? Share your ideas in the comments so that we may all gain strength from your great wisdom!